Terms and conditions of website use
Welcome to crestawards.org.
This page tells you the terms on which you may use our website crestawards.org, whether as registered user or guest. Please read carefully before use.
By using the site, you accept the terms and agree to obey them. If you don’t accept them, please don’t use the site.
Who we are
The CREST Awards and crestawards.org are operated by the British Science Association, a UK charity registered in England as Registered Charity No. 212479 and SC039236.
Our registered office is at Wellcome Wolfson Building, 165 Queen’s Gate, London, SW7 5HD.
Use of the Site
You have permission for temporary use of the site, but we can withdraw or change our service at any time without telling you and without being legally responsible to you.
You must treat all identification codes, passwords and other security information as confidential. If we think you have failed to keep confidentiality, we are allowed to disable any security information (including your passwords and codes).
If you allow anyone else to use our site, you must make sure that they read these terms first, and that they follow them.
Only use the site as allowed by law and these terms. If you don’t, we may suspend your usage, or stop it completely.
We frequently update the site and make changes to it, but we don’t have to do this, and material on the site may be out-of-date. No material on the site is intended to contain advice, and you shouldn’t rely on it. We exclude all legal responsibility and costs for reliance placed on the site by anyone.
What you must not do
You must not use the site to do any of the following:
- Break any laws or regulations
- Do anything fraudulent, or which has a fraudulent effect
- Harm or attempt to harm minors
- Do anything with material that does not meet our content standards (these are listed below)
- Do anything with unsolicited advertising material (known as spam)
- Transmit any data or material that is harmful to other programs, software, or hardware (for example, viruses, Trojan horses, worms, etc.)
- Copy in any way or re-sell any part of our site (unless we allow it under our website terms)
- Interfere with or damage any part of our site, equipment, network, software or storage arrangements.
Uploading to our site
If you contact other users of our site or upload material to it, you must follow our content standards as defined below. You agree to reimburse us for any costs or expenses we incur as a result of any breach of these terms and conditions.
Material that you upload to the site on your own behalf or on behalf of your students remains the property of the originator. We can copy it, distribute it, and show it to other people for the purpose of assessing and moderating CREST Awards. You agree that if anyone else claims to own the material, or says that it breaches their rights, we can give them your identity.
We won’t be legally responsible to anybody for the accuracy of material that you upload to the site, and we can remove it at any time if we think it doesn’t follow our content standards or adhere to these terms and conditions.
Here are our content standards. They apply to all material that you contribute to our site and to all interactive services. You must follow these standards carefully, but please also follow the spirit of them.
Any contribution you make to our site and our interactive services must be:
- Accurate (if they are factual)
- Genuine (if they state opinions)
- Within the law.
Your contributions must not be:
- Defamatory, obscene or offensive
- Likely to deceive, harass, annoy, threaten or invade someone else’s privacy
And they must not:
- Promote material that is sexually explicit
- Promote violence, or discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, age, disability, or sexual orientation
- Infringe anyone else’s intellectual property
- Be used to impersonate anyone, or misrepresent anyone’s identity
- Encourage or assist anything that breaks the law
Our standards for interactive services, such as chat rooms and bulletin boards, are as follows:
- We will tell you clearly about the service
- We will tell you what form of moderation we use for the site
- We will try to assess risks on the site (especially for children) and will moderate if we think it is appropriate
- Please note, however, that we are not required to moderate our interactive service. We will not be responsible for any loss to anyone who does not use our site according to our standards (whether or not we have moderated the service)
Intellectual property rights
Unless stated otherwise, we are the owner or licensee of all intellectual property rights in the site (for example the copyright and any rights in the designs) and in any of the material posted on it by us. They are protected by copyright.
Unless stated otherwise, you may use any materials on the site under the Creative Commons license Attribution 4.0 International “Attribution 4.0 International”, attributing the British Science Association, and linking to www.crestawards.org where appropriate. If you breach the terms of this license, you lose your right to use our site and must destroy or return any copies you have made.
Important Notice for parents and teachers
- Use of our interactive service by a child is subject to parental consent
- If you permit your child to use the service, we advise you to explain the risks. Moderation is not always effective
- Please contact us if you have a concern about moderation
Disclosure to Courts
If you have to disclose Confidential Information by order of a court or other public body you may do so.
Suspension and Termination
If we think you have breached this policy, we will take whatever steps we think are necessary.
These might include:
- Stopping your use of the site temporarily or permanently
- Removing material you have put on the site
- Sending you a warning
- Taking legal action
- Telling the right authorities
We exclude legal responsibility and cost for actions we take to deal with your breach of our policy.
By using the site, you agree to us handling this information and confirm that data you provide is accurate.
Our legal responsibility to you
We do not guarantee the accuracy of material on our site. As far as legally possible, we exclude legal responsibility for the following:
- Any loss to you arising from use of our site
- Loss of income, profit, business, data, contracts, goodwill or savings.
We also exclude, as far as legally possible, all terms and warranties or promises implied by law or by statutes.
We don’t exclude legal responsibility for death or personal injury owing to our negligence, or legal responsibility for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation, or for anything else where exclusion is not allowed by the law.
If you do anything which is a criminal offence under a law called the Computer Misuse Act 1990, your right to use the site will end straight away. We will report you to the relevant authorities and give them your identity.
Examples of computer misuse include introducing viruses, worms, Trojans and other technologically harmful or damaging material.
You mustn’t try to get access to our site or server or any connected database or make any ‘attack’ on the site. We won’t be legally responsible to you for any damage from viruses or other harmful material that you pick up via our site.
Links to our site
You are allowed to make a legal link to our website’s homepage from your website if the content on your site meets our content standards. We can end this permission at any time.
You mustn’t suggest any endorsement by us or association with us unless we agree in writing.
Links from our site
Links from our site to other sites are only for information. We don’t accept responsibility for other sites or any loss you suffer from using them.
We change these terms from time to time and you must check them for changes because they are binding on you.
The British Science Association name [and logo](#) and all related product and service names, design marks and slogans are the trademarks or service marks of us or our suppliers.
The English courts have the only right to hear claims related to our site, and all disputes are governed by English law.
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to contact us about any issues.