Who we are
Here are the details that the Data Protection Act 1998 says we have to give you as a ‘data controller’:
- Our site address is crest awards.org
- Our organisation name is the British Science Association
- Our registered address is Wellcome Wolfson Building, 165 Queen’s Gate, London, SW7 5HD
What we may collect
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you put into forms or surveys on our site at any time
- A record of any correspondence between us
- Details of transactions you carry out through our site
- Details of your visits to our site and the resources you use
- Information about your computer (e.g. your IP address, browser, operating system, etc.) for system administration.
If you sign up for a CREST account we collect your name, password, and email address. If you enter students for CREST Award we will also collect invoicing and delivery addresses. We need this information in order operate the CREST Awards programme, and to send you relevant information about your CREST participation.
We may also collect additional information about you, in order to improve our services to you, but you do not have to provide this information in order to use our services.
We collect information about students that you enter for CREST Awards, via your CREST account or through one of our CREST coordinators.
The information we collect about students includes their name, their school or college, and optionally their date of birth, gender, ethnicity, and disabilities. We use this information to evaluate and improve participation in CREST Awards. We also share this information in aggregate anonymised format with funders and potential funders.
Important notice for teachers and other educators As a teacher, youth group leader or other adult entering students for CREST Awards, you should only share this information with us if you’re permitted to do so, in accordance with your organisation’s data privacy and protection policies.
You do not have to provide any personal information about your students in order to enter them for CREST Awards.
How we use what we collect
In addition to the purposes listed above under What we may collect we use information about you to:
- Present site content effectively to you.
- Provide information, products and services that you request, or (with your consent) which we think may interest you.
- Carry out our contracts with you.
- Allow you to use our interactive services if you want to.
- Tell you our charges.
- Tell you about other goods and services that might interest you.
If you don’t want to be contacted for marketing purposes, please do not tick the opt-in box when you register for a CREST account. You can also opt out of any marketing emails you may receive from us using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email.
Where we store your data
We may transfer your collected data to storage outside the European Economic Area (EEA). It may be processed outside the EEA to fulfil your order and deal with payment.
By giving us your personal data, you agree to this arrangement. We will do what we reasonably can to keep your data secure.
Payment will be encrypted. If we give you a password, you must keep it confidential. Please don’t share it. Although we try to provide protection, we cannot guarantee complete security for your data, and you take the risk that any sending of that data turns out to be not secure despite our efforts.
Disclosing your information
We are allowed to disclose your information in the following cases:
- If we want to sell our business or our company, we can disclose it to the potential buyer
- We can disclose it to other businesses in our group
- We can disclose it if we have a legal obligation to do so, or in order to protect other people’s property, safety or rights
- We can exchange information with others to protect against fraud or credit risks.
You can ask us not to use your data for marketing. You can do this by opting out at the point of registration, by unsubscribing using the link at the foot of our marketing emails, or by contacting us at any time at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to see the information we hold about you. If you wish to exercise this right, contact us at email@example.com.
Links to other sites
Please note that our terms and conditions and our policies will not apply to other websites that you get to via a link from our site.