If you’re looking for a fantastic day out for your class, with amazing animals to see and plenty of science learning opportunities then ZSL zoos are the place for you. Each education session is accredited as an activity which counts towards a CREST Star or SuperStar Award.
ZSL London Zoo
- Hands on! (Star):Investigate real animal hair, scales and feathers! Pupils will describe how animals feel, and find out how we can group them by their body coverings.
- Sense-ations (Star)Dare you put your hand in the feely bag? Do you know which animals taste with their feet? A fun, interactive workshop exploring human and animal senses.
- Discover Teeth & Feeding (SuperStar):Pupils investigate a range of animal skulls and teeth to discover how animals are adapted for different diets and which feeding groups they belong to.
ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
- Colour and camouflage (Star): How and why do animals use colour and pattern? Students will investigate real fur and feathers to describe how animals use camouflage to survive in the wild.
- Habitats and Adaptations (SuperStar): Pupils investigate how animals survive in the wild and how these adaptations are suited to the habitat they live in.
- On the Edge (SuperStar): Pupils will be introduced to endangered species and discover the threats facing the species in the wild.
- Teeth and Diets (SuperStar): Pupils become dental detectives as they discover the true identity of skulls by investigating the adaptations to feeding and diets.
Pupils explore the difference that growing pumpkins can make to the lives of people living in flood affected regions in Bangladesh.
As life evolved in the sea, we must be able to analyse the water from a likely planet to see if it is capable of supporting life…