RELAUNCHING IN SPRING 2017!
We are excited to announce we will be relaunching CREST Star in spring 2017. Sign up here to be kept up to date with the latest news and information.
While the awards are being redeveloped, online registration, passports and certificates are temporarily unavailable. All the challenges are still available to download for free on our resource bank.
CREST Star Awards
Launched in 2007, CREST Star Awards are well regarded, high quality and a tangible recognition of success. The awards can be run in schools, clubs, or at home.
CREST Star supports children to solve real-life science, technology, engineering and maths challenges through practical investigation and discussion, giving them the chance to participate in hands-on science through enquiry-based learning.
How does it work?
CREST Star is usually done 5-7 year olds, to gain the award children must complete 8 Star challenges.
- Children receive their own CREST Star passport to record their journey
- Children participate in 8 CREST challenges, run by you *
- Each time a child completes a challenge they add a sticker to their passport
- When their passport is filled up they get a certificate and badge!
* Challenges are designed so that you don’t need to be a teacher or have a science background to run them. Each challenge is designed to be 45min-1hr long and comes with an organiser’s card with instructions, highlighted safety points and a resource list.
- Register online: when you register, you will be able to access an electronic CREST Star passport. CREST passports let children track their progress through the awards. The passports are double sided and printer friendly.
- Run CREST challenges: choose 8 Star challenges from our online resource bank to run with your group. There is no time limit on how long you have to do this, although we recommend you complete the 8 challenges over 1 or 2 terms. Children can mark off completed challenges either with your own stickers or by drawing a picture.
- Record your progress online: log in to your account and tell us which challenges your group have completed.
- Complete your awards: when your group has completed 8 challenges and paid the per award entry fee, certificates and badges will be posted to you. You can pay by card or invoice.
- Award certificates and badges!
CREST Star for SEN
The following CREST Star activities have been adapted for students with special educational needs (SEN). The activity sheets use Widgit symbols to help learners with cognitive learning difficulties, who have difficulty following instructions given purely in text or remembering a series of instructions.
My Stem Club were assessed for their Bronze Award and had so much pride when they got it! The assessor was impressed at the skills they had learned in communication and facing challenges. The whole experience is so valuable!
It’s helped the self-esteem for some low achievers for whom it is their major achievement in school.