Over 30,000 students receive CREST Awards each year. CREST gives students the chance to participate in hands-on science through investigations and enquiry-based learning. It can be run in schools, clubs, youth groups, other organisations or at home. They are well regarded, high quality and a tangible recognition of success.
Choose an Award level
There are five CREST Award levels, allowing students to progress through the scheme throughout their education.
- Star (complete a series of short activities to achieve an Award; typically undertaken by 5-to-12-year-olds)
- Discovery (around five hours of work and can be done in one day; typically undertaken by 11-to-14-year-olds)
- Bronze (around 10 hours project work; typically undertaken by 11-to-14-year-olds)
- Silver (around 30 hours project work; typically undertaken by 14-to-16-year-olds)
- Gold (around 70 hours project work; typically undertaken by 16-to-19-year olds)
Choose a project
CREST Awards are very flexible, and can be delivered in a number of ways:
- You could use the ready-made plans and resources available on our website to run a project
- You could arrange for an accredited provider run a project with your students. This could be at your school, or at another location such as a museum.
- You could plan your own project which enables students to meet the CREST assessment criteria. This could use the students’ own ideas, or link to other activities in your school.
Register your students
Our network of local coordinators will help you to register your students, and will be on hand to provide any advice or support you need.
Run the project
This is the fun part! Your students can have the freedom to explore their ideas and run their own investigations. Especially at the higher Award levels, the teachers’ role is to support students in running their own projects.
Assess the project
For Star, Discovery and Bronze projects, you can assess students’ work yourself, or ask another member of staff. At Silver and Gold level, projects will be externally assessed by a CREST representative.
CREST Awards are not competitive; as long as your students meet the assessment criteria, they will receive an Award.
Celebrate your success
From Discovery to Gold levels, each student receives a personalised certificate.