The CREST youth panel
The British Science Association (BSA) believes that it is important to involve young people in decision making and give them a voice on the issues important to them.
Our CREST Youth Panel is a group of CREST Award holders aged 13-19 who meet twice a year at large science events across the UK to input into the CREST scheme’s projects and those of our partners.
Members of the Youth Panel receive the following benefits during their time serving on the group:
- The title of CREST Youth Advisor
- A formal letter of thanks from the BSA’s Chief Executive at the end of the year
- The opportunity to attend the British Science Festival
- The chance to attend influential CREST meetings and address stakeholders
- Membership of the CREST Alumni Network
- Membership of the BSA
- The opportunity to represent the BSA at events around the country
- The opportunity to participate in training sessions and develop new skills
- Support with travel costs to and from meetings (for them and an accompanying adult if under 18)
Students are also provided with an environment in which they can meet and speak freely about STEM experiences and opportunities and learn new ways to discuss and review thoughts, facilitated by British Science Association staff and influential partners.
Current CREST Youth Panel Members (2015/16)
Aine Maree Duffy
Min Ju Lee
Lilian (Lily) Limmer
Lauren May Banfield
My Stem Club were assessed for their Bronze Award and had so much pride when they got it! The assessor was impressed at the skills they had learned in communication and facing challenges. The whole experience is so valuable!
It’s helped the self-esteem for some low achievers for whom it is their major achievement in school.